Clemson vs. Alabama

Cade McAfee, Contributor

The 2018 College Football Championship featured two familiar teams. Clemson and Alabama met in the National Championship in 2015, 2016 and again in 2018. They have both won one title against each other and this year was the rematch.

Alabama was the favorite as usual with another undefeated season under Coach Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide rolled over all their opponents this year and only few people thought anyone else had a chance. In spite of this, Clemson also had an undefeated season and were the number two ranked team in the nation. Clemson was the 5.5 point underdog in this National Championship game and many people thought it would be more.

The game started off as most people would have thought. Clemson’s offense was shut down and the Tide offense took over with their Heisman candidate quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. It looked like the Tide was just going to roll on another opponent as they did so many times this season. Alabama completed a couple nice passes but then Tua was picked off on a short route and the defender took it to the house. Alabama and Clemson took turns scoring until the fisrt quarter ended with a score of 14-13 Alabama.

The half ended with a score of 31-16 with Clemson on top. Everyone expected Nick Saban’s team to come out of the locker room fired up and give the Tigers a close game but the Tide did not score the rest of the half. The game ended with a score of 44-16.

This was the worse loss of Nick Saban’s career at Alabama. Tua struggled with a less than usual performance because of Clemson’s pass rush. Tua threw two picks which which are normally very uncommon for him. On the other team, the true freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence had the game of his life. He had 347 passing yards and 3 touchdowns and was not affected by the bright lights of the National Championship game. Another freshman that played a great game for the Tigers was Justyn Ross. Originally born in Alabama, Ross chose to go to Clemson and made big plays for the Tigers including an 80 yard touchdown reception. Both teams have a lot of young, talented players that will most likely be in the National Championship game next year.

Sources
https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/alabama-clemson-betting-live-odds-spread-line-2019-national-championship