5G Mobile to Revolutionize Internet

Back to Article
Back to Article

5G Mobile to Revolutionize Internet

Map of first 5G rollouts across the United States

Jacob Pieczynski, Contributor

For years, people have been content with the speeds that their mobile phones have been reaching. Internet companies have been raising internet speeds up to more than 1 gigabyte per second, a ridiculously fast download speed. Now, the newest revolution in mobile and internet speeds is arriving with the implementation of 5G technology.

Fifth generation wireless, or “5G”, has been a technology many years in the making. Millions of dollars have been spent on its research and development. This next generation of mobile broadband will eventually replace current 4G LTE connections, the type standard in phones. 5G is a complicated service that will bring revolutions in the internet and communications market.

5G operates on three different frequency spectrum levels: low-band, mid-band, and high-band. Low-band is currently used by most carriers in the U.S. and can reach speeds of up to 100MB/s internet speeds. T-Mobile is the primary player in the low-band spectrum, owning the most frequencies. While speeds are slower with the low-band spectrum, it can fairly easily penetrate buildings and travel far. Mid-band is the second frequency range. It much faster and has a lower latency, the time it takes to communicate with other networks and devices, however, its signals do not penetrate buildings as well as low-band.

Finally, the high-band spectrum is what most people think of when it comes to 5G. It can hit up to 10GB speeds and incredibly low latency. A 10GB/s download speed would mean that most large games and movies could be downloaded in seconds, if not instantly. High-band has a low coverage area and its building penetration is poor. AT&T and Verizon are really the only companies rolling out high-band 5G. They use a method called small cells, small, low-power base stations that send internet over a very small area.

5G will revolutionize internet and mobile broadband. It will bring exponentially faster download and upload speeds. Latency will see a drastic decrease, allowing devices to communicate with other devices and networks much better. Networks should be able to reach up to 10GB/s speeds with a wireless connection, things that are currently only capable of advanced wired, or Ethernet connections. Entire movies or games will be able to be downloaded in seconds.

With any new technology, new devices have to be rolled out in order to better accommodate it. This week, the annual Consumer Electronics Show, CES, has largely revolved around 5G technology. Many different technology companies are outfitting their devices with 5G receptors as the current 4G LTE technology is incompatible with 5G. Samsung is expected to outfit their latest Galaxy 10 phone with 5G tech and Motorola is expected to do the same.

5G tech is coming fast with its first implementations having come in October 2018 by Verizon in pre-standard fixed 5G internet in homes. This first step was available in Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, and Sacramento. AT&T was the first company to roll out true 5G. Many cities across the U.S. got it in December of 2018. T-Mobile is expected to start rolling out 5G in early 2019 with the promise of nationwide coverage by 2020. 5G is a promising technology and it’s advancements will make life much easier.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-5g/2/

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-is-verizons-first-5g-smartphone/

https://www.pcmag.com/article/345387/what-is-5g

Jacob Pieczynski, Contributor

Hello! I am a fourteen year old freshman here at BFHS. I like to work out, play baseball, read, code, and hang out with my family and friends. I am stoked...