Snow Storm in Europe Leaves 13 Dead

Back to Article
Back to Article

Snow Storm in Europe Leaves 13 Dead

Avery Ward, Contributor

A snow storm plummeted near the Alpine region of Europe, trapping hundreds of people. The high winds from the storm caused flight cancellations and increased the percentage of more fatal avalanches. At least thirteen people have been killed due to weather-related incidents over the past week from avalanches in Europe. In Norway, efforts to find the bodies of four skiers were postponed because of the lack of visibility and heavy snowfall.  “A 29-year Swedish woman and three Finns, aged 29, 32 and 36, were presumed dead after a 300-meter (990-foot) wide avalanche hit a valley near the northern city of Tromsoe last week” (MSN). Although, in Romania on January 8, police discovered a frozen body of a 67-year-old man in a parking lot in Slatina, a southern city in Romania. His wife reported that he had not returned home from work that day. The temperatures in Romania dropped to a low of negative 24 degrees Celsius, which is 11.2 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hundreds of Austrian residents were trapped inside of their homes due to blocked roads. Some areas even had power outages after snow-covered trees took down the power lines. In some regions, schools shut down for another day and homeowners were advised to remove snow from their roofs after several buildings collapsed. “One 78-year-old man was severely injured when he fell off his roof in Turrach while shoveling snow, Austrian public broadcaster ORF reported” (MSN).  On the night of Monday, January 7, after having been snowed in without much food and electricity, eleven German hikers had to be rescued by mountaineers from a nearby cabin close to Salzburg. According to MSN, “Other people have also been killed by avalanches in Switzerland, Austria and Germany, and authorities warned that continuing snowfall is increasing the risk of more avalanches. The German news agency DPA reported, in the northern coastal German city of Hamburg, residents were preparing for a storm flood caused by a winter gale” (MSN).

No one was in the air or the sea this past week in the Dutch coastal regions. The flight cancellations were in the Netherlands and Slovakia. At the Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam, there was nearly 25% of flight cancellations on Tuesday, the eighth. There was also strong winds and wild seas. The local water authorities were checking the dikes, holding back all the ocean water to ensure that they were not damaged. The Noorderzijlvest water authority said that it was monitoring dikes because of debris floating in the sea after 281 shipping containers tumbled off a cargo ship in a storm last week. Many of the containers are still at sea and some have broken open. “A fridge or container that is rammed against a dike can cause damage,” the authority said (MSN).

Dense snowfall and high winds were reported on Tuesday in central Scandinavia. They made attempts to restore the electricity that had gone out after another snow storm swept through on Wednesday, January 2. In Athens, Greece, schools remained closed after snow engulfed the capital. Even some rural mountainous roads were also shut down.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/winter-storm-blasts-europe-13-dead-amid-heavy-snow-gusts/ar-BBRXuTt?ocid=spartanntp

Avery Ward, Contributor

My name is Avery Ward and I am a freshman.  Here's a few things I like to do. Firstly, I love to play volleyball! I have been playing on the court for...