Government Shutdown

Gunnar Strom, Contributor

Over winter break, President Donald Trump shut down the government in hopes of swaying Congress into funding the border wall as he needs several Democrat votes in order to do so. As of the 9th of January, the shutdown is in its 20th day, with seemingly no end in sight. President Trump needs $5.7 billion in order to go through with his plans of the border wall, a reasonable amount considering the government was also shut down to implement Obamacare, which added $940 billion to the national debt. Despite this, many are saying the shutdown is uncalled for, and that compromises can be made that do not involve the shutdown.

One of the biggest problems that people are having with the shutdown is the fact that it is happening right about the same time as the holidays, meaning that over 800,000 government workers went without a paycheck or bonus this Christmas season. Not only this but several government-owned tourist attractions, such as National Parks, have been temporarily closed as all workers are employed by the government. The trash collection is one of the biggest problems at National Parks. The only workers are volunteers, and they’re stretched incredibly thin for the amount of work that needs to be done. The government shutdown also cuts into tax return season, meaning millions of people have yet to be paid.

Despite all the negative press towards his wall and the shutdown, Trump is standing firm. “It could be a long time, and it could be quickly,” Trump stated about the shutdown … I can’t tell you when the government is going to be open. I can tell you it’s not going to be open until we have a wall, a fence, whatever they would like to call it” (USA Today). Trump has said that he is willing to compromise with the Democratic Party so that operations can resume, however, they have refused to negotiate. Trump did discuss a deal with Democrats about the wall, however, he did not explicitly offer it. The deal is for the Democrats to provide funding for the wall, and in return, Trump will create a new legal status for “Dreamers,” the children of illegal immigrants that have been seized by the government. So far, nothing has come from this. Both sides have accused each other of being childish and playing politics instead of focusing on the task at hand, which is the safety of the American people.

Regardless of your viewpoint on this issue, the government shutdown is starting to bog down on many Americans with the issue that has been going on now for many years. With no end in sight for the near future, people are starting to question whether the border wall is a good idea and will be worth it. Unfortunately, only time will tell.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/02/government-shutdown-meeting-trump-pelosi-schumer/2461442002/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/25/politics/trump-shutdown-wall-january/index.htmlhttps://www.dogonews.com/2019/1/7/the-partial-government-shutdown-explained

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/12/21/18151974/border-wall-trump-steel-slats-shutdown

Gunnar Strom, Contributor

Hey, my name is Gunnar Strom and I am a 14 year old freshman. I like to skateboard and play the drums in my spare time. I have a younger sister and no...