The Dangers Of the Deep

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Dangers Of the Deep

Ashley George, Contributor

There are over 2,000 species of Jellyfish floating in our dark blue oceans. Some Jellyfish are not animals, but are a colony of organisms working together to  to form one of the most poisonous creatures alive. Jellyfish have long flowing tentacles that range in sizes from 10-165 feet long. Jellyfish have over 5,000 stinging cells in each tentacle, which are triggered by touch reacting with the skin of its prey.

The box Jellyfish is the most poisonous creature known to man. The Box Jellyfish is a captivating creature that resembles the form of a box. “Since 1954, 5,568 deaths have been attributed to this jelly. There are fifteen tentacles on this type of jellyfish, which may extend ten feet in length” (National Geographic). Box Jellyfish has tentacles that not only wrap around its prey, but they also have poisonous darts that embed themselves in the skin of its prey. The venom in these millions of darts have the potential to kill up to 60 People. The venom is fast acting, and could potentially cause cardiac arrest within a matter of minutes. Not only is the venom highly toxic, but the extent of burn it creates on the human flesh is unbearable and causes many to go into shock.  If in some you survive a sting from one of these jellies, you will be in a mass amount of pain afterwards.

The second most deadly jellyfish is the Irukandji Jellyfish. This small jellyfish almost impossible to see Jellyfish pack on a small but violent punch. This small creature is a relative of the ever so famous Box Jellyfish. “It is arguably the most venomous animal on the planet. Its toxin is 100 times stronger than that of a cobra. Both the tentacles and bell can sting” (National Geographic). One sting from this Jellyfish may be treatable, but a second, third, forth, and so on is fatal.

The third is probably one of the largest Jellyfish known to man, the Portuguese Man O’ War. This jelly fish has a 12 in long, 5in wide body accompanied by 165ft of tentacles. The Portuguese Man O’ War is one of the only Jelly fish that is not an animal, but a colony of organisms. Thus receiving its name after a battleship.  The Man O’ War is also known as (Blue Bottle) because of its resemblance to a bottle. The Man O” War is a beautiful captivating Jellyfish that can wrap itself around the whole human body. The Man O’ War is one of the most painful Jellyfish. When you receive a sting from this creature it leave a whip like welt across the skin it touched. “Man-of-wars are found, sometimes in groups of 1,000 or more, floating in warm waters throughout the world’s oceans. They have no independent means of propulsion and either drift on the currents or catch the wind with their pneumatophores. To avoid threats on the surface, they can deflate their air bags and briefly submerge”(National Geographic).  The Portuguese Man O’ War loves to travel in colonies, mainly for safety, but in some cases a man may find himself trapped in a swarm of these creatures. He will find himself in a fatal trip not being able to return.

Another breed of jellyfish is the Mosaic Jellyfish. “A mosaic jellyfish floats serenely in the waters of the Coral Sea, about 100 nautical miles from Cairns, Australia. Jellyfish are ubiquitous in the Earth’s oceans. They can thrive in warm water and cold, along coastlines or out in the deep. Their bodies are about 95 percent water. And though they have no brains, jellyfish have somehow been smart enough to survive for over 500 million years”(National Geographic).

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/group/box-jellyfish/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/p/portuguese-man-of-war/

Ashley George, Contributor

My name is Ashley George. I am a sophomore and love Science. I love horse riding as well as jet skiing and quad riding. I love listing to all genres of...