Teen Vaping

Joshua Case, Contributor

Humanity has reached a time in the world where knowledge is becoming more easily accessible, like the knowledge that tobacco cigarettes and the chemicals in them are harmful to the body. As this information has become more widely known, alternate solutions have arisen in place of cigarettes. One such solution is the new thing that has already found a common place in society is vaping. Instead of having the chemicals be in the tobacco, like generic cigarettes, the chemicals are held in a liquid container inside of the Juul.  This mixture can be even more addicting to the person using it than actual cigarettes.

In a study done on high school seniors, the number of high school students who had vaped nicotine in the last month had doubled from the last year they had surveyed. In another study done by a group called “Monitoring the Future”, one in three high school seniors had participated in vaping in the past year at least once. Surprisingly, this same ratio also applied to the group of high school sophomores that had vaped at least once in the last year. The total percent of high school students who had been surveyed about vaping within the last year was twenty-one percent of all those asked. this percentage is an astounding leap of eleven percent from the lower ten percent of those who vaped last year. ( USA Today)

While this is a spike in the use of things containing nicotine, many other things have gone down in use. An example of this is the use of opiods and teen drinking. An opioid is something such as heroine or many prescriptions pain killers that can be easily accessible to teens after surgeries or around the house.As the use of Juuls have gone up, the number of teens who have misused the prescription opioids and gotten drunk have decreased significantly (USA Today).

In response to this rise in teenage vaping, the FDA announced plans to curb how easy it is for underage people to obtain Juuls. In a study done, it was figured out than nearly two thirds of tenth graders said that it was way too easy get a Juul and vape. According to USA Today “Kids have been able to get their hands on and use them in ways that are a lot easier to use than a combustible cigarette” ( USA Today ). In many ways this statement is very true. the restrictions on how easily one can get the supplies and do the action of vaping without the fear of being punished by any other authority other than the school they go to.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/12/17/teen-vaping-rises-drug-use-drinking-and-opioid-use-all-decline/2301914002/

Joshua Case, Contributor

I am a junior at BFHS. I love to play sports and be active. I like to spend my free with my friends and keep a positive outlook on life.