Bomb Threats All Over the United States

Gunnar Strom, Contributor

On December 13th, many bomb threats were sent across the United States, several of the targets being schools. Some of the threats were sent in electronically with mediums such as email, while others were phoned in. Authorities in New York City were monitoring “multiple bomb threats that have been sent electronically to various locations throughout the city,” according to NBC, and they are reporting more all across the nation. The threats have currently came to San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Miami, Washington D.C. The NYPD has stated that thee threats “Are NOT considered credible at this time.” There have also been reports of several threats in Canada, including Vancouver, Ottawa, and Toronto.

The threats have all had the same premise in mind: pay the senders the threats $20,000 worth of bitcoin or the bombs will go off. However, as of now, no devices have been found, and law enforcement believes that it was an attempt to either make money or to cause mass panic in the surrounding areas. If the intent was indeed the second option, then the plan was somewhat successful. Many schools in New York, including the Bronx High School of Science, were evacuated on the 13th after the threats were sent out. A threat was also made against Columbine High School near Littleton, Colorado, a school that is infamous for a shooting carried out by two students in April 1999 that killed 13 people. “A caller claimed to have ‘multiple explosive devices’ inside the school on Thursday morning [December 13]. Columbine and 28 other nearby schools were placed on ‘lockout'” said Mike Taplin, who is a representative of the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. In Chicago, they have received nearly 20 threats, all containing a message nearly identical to the ones received in other states.

Excerpts of one of the messages read: “Hello. I write to inform you that my man carried an explosive device into the building where your company is conducted. … If it explodes there will be many wounded people. … I can withdraw my recruited person [the man with the bomb] if you make a transfer. $20,000 is the price for your life and business. … You have to solve problems with the transfer by the end of the workday, if you are late with the money the device will explode. … Nothing personal this is just business, if you don’t transfer me the bitcoins and the bomb detonates, next time other commercial enterprises will pay me a lot more, because it isn’t a one-time action. … We aren’t a terrorist society and don’t take liability for acts of terrorism in other buildings.”

As the supposed bombs should have gone off on Thursday at the end of the day, per the instructions that were given by the senders, it has confirmed the thoughts that these threats were not credible in any way. However, many are worried about how this event was able to bring much of the United States to a standstill, as many were scared that this was a real threat and hundreds of schools were put into lockdown. Law enforcement is currently working on better ways to deal with and prevent these sorts of things from happening.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/wave-bomb-threats-causes-evacuations-anxiety-nationwide-n947671

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/email-bomb-threats/index.html

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/breaking-news/schools-newspapers-businesses-receive-emailed-bomb-threats/888403417

Gunnar Strom, Contributor

Hey, my name is Gunnar Strom and I am a 14 year old freshman. I like to skateboard and play the drums in my spare time. I have a younger sister and no...