Carnival Cruise Passenger Reported as Missing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Avery Ward, Contributor

On December 13, a 26-year-old man, Thomas McElhany, went overboard on the Victory cruise ship of the Carnival Cruise Lines around 35 miles south of Islamorada, Florida. This incident happened “at some point during the ship’s voyage back to Miami after a 4 night cruise that made stops in Key West and Cozumel,” according to the Orlando Sentinel (FOX). The United States Coast Guard is searching for him. Representatives for the cruise line reported to Fox News on Saturday afternoon that “the facts surrounding this unfortunate incident indicate it was an intentional act” (FOX).

A numerous amount of concerns have been noticed by the passengers aboard the Carnival Cruise. Kimberly Wyatt, a passenger, posted a photo of Thomas McElhany to Twitter that day saying, “According to the cruise line, this man is missing. An intense search is underway right now. We have turned around.” Kimberly continued to tweet the status of Thomas: “His photo is being displayed on the television on the cruise ship. Security also conducted a room by room, floor by floor search.” She added another post saying, “UPDATE: Cameras confirm the passenger went overboard. It’s unknown if he jumped or fell. The @uscg [United States Coast Guard] is searching by air.” Wyatt also shred a photo of a letter from Carnival Cruise Lines to the passengers, regarding their search and rescue efforts for the missing guest. A part of the Carnival’s letter said: “Dear Carnival Victory Guests, As I had shared in my announcement earlier, we are continuing our search and rescue efforts for our missing guest. I am so sorry to say that our ship’s camera system has confirmed he went overboard. Our CareTeam is currently assisting his family on board. In conjunction with the United States Coast Guard, we are conducting a search of the area where he was last seen. I will continue to provide you timely updates” (FOX).

The United States Coast Guard’s Air Station Miami MH-65 Dolphin helicopter, Air Station Miami HC-144 Ocean Sentry and Coast Guard Cutter Charles David, Jr. (WPC-1107) are active in the search, as per the Sentinel. The rescue mission is said to have continued overnight (FOX). When the Victory returned on Saturday afternoon, representatives for the cruise line reported to Fox News with the following comment: “Carnival Victory arrived at Port Miami at approximately 3:00 pm on December 14, 2018, after the U.S. Coast Guard released the ship from the search and rescue efforts to locate a 26-year-old male guest who went overboard from the ship early that morning,” a spokesperson said via email.

“Our CareTeam is providing support to the guest’s family. Sadly, all the facts surrounding this unfortunate incident indicate it was an intentional act,” they added. “Carnival Victory departed Port Miami [Friday night] on its next cruise as scheduled, albeit with a late departure” (FOX).

The 101,509 gross ton Victory has capacity to accommodate up to 2,764 guests and 1,110 onboard crew. It departs from Miami for trips to the Bahamas, Caribbean, and Cuba, according to the Victory’s official webpage (FOX).

Sources: https://www.foxnews.com/travel/carnival-cruise-passenger-reported-as-missing-coast-guard-search-underway

Avery Ward, Contributor

My name is Avery Ward and I am a freshman.  Here's a few things I like to do. Firstly, I love to play volleyball! I have been playing on the court for...