Blueberries on Mars

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blueberries on Mars

© AP

© AP

© AP

Stephanie Schnebly, Contributor

It’s only been a few months after NASA sent a new rover to mars. But the scientists are already discovering many new things including some blueberries. These newly found alien blueberries are rich in iron and calcium. They first appeared near the landing site of the rover and have nothing in common with earthly blueberries since the blueberries people have come to know and love have more potassium than anything and only two percent of iron. These mysterious blueberry-like orbs are still being studied, according to Live Science, “New research takes its inspiration from these terrestrial analogs” which scientists are gaining from the rover. This new discovery also allows for “a new idea of the chemistry that may have gone into whipping up these Martian blueberries.” (LiveScience) The new blueberry spheres might even contain a new element that is yet to be discovered.

These blueberries not only can be examined to find new minerals, but it also can prove that Mars was wet once before. According to live science, “constituted one of several different types of evidence suggesting that Mars used to be wet.” Though scientists are unsure about how exactly the blueberries were formed, they believe that rivers or some form of moving water took place so as to form them. Scientists also took some inspiration from earth so as to form their hypothesis of how these blueberries on Mars formed. The research team traveled to Mongolia and Utah where they found similar formations of the blueberries. The earthly formations consist of  calcite as the core and iron-rich minerals on the outer core, however, “These formations aren’t identical to those on Mars, which are about a tenth the size of the Earthly equivalents.” (LiveScience) So even though the earthly formations are useful in predicting what the Mars blueberries are like, they will still have to examine the Mars blueberries so as to confirm their suspicions.

Another thing that these blueberries would help with is to help further the research for what happened to the once thick atmosphere of mars. For years scientists have debated over this theoretical idea and have gained significant clues on how it happened, though the idea is still controversial. Scientists believe “the new study argued that this atmosphere could have gone into the carbonate ions locked in calcite precursors to the blueberries” (LiveScience) though there is no explicit detail about this out yet, it still is an interesting idea that could be plausible. The opposing side of the argument for what may have happened to the atmosphere disagrees that the blueberries will help with figuring this scientific puzzle out. A scientist working on this project, named Steve Ruff has said that “My sense of what we know about the area of the hematite that we can map from orbit is it’s not a huge area,” covering less than 1 percent of Mars’ surface, he said.”( LiveScience) due to the small number of blueberries found, he is skeptical about them being able to fully contain the amount of the dense and heavy atmosphere.

Though the blueberries are still a great mystery, the new advanced technologies that have been created in these recent years will allow scientists to take a huge leap into the geological study of mars. If enough research is made, the future may be bright with the colonization of Mars and maybe further planets in our solar system. Though the atmosphere may be gone in Mars, there is still a chance that scientists will gain enough knowledge to be able to create their own synthetic atmosphere around Mars so as to start colonizing the galaxy or to simply be able to look at these blueberries without a camera that is miles away.

Source:

https://www.livescience.com/64265-mars-blueberries-mystery.html

Stephanie Schnebly, Contributor

I am a Junior who aspires to be an animator. I have five birds, two dogs and two fish. I usually draw in my free time but I also like to play video games....