Is It Ethical To Genetically Alter Human Beings?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ashley George, Contributor

People all over the world want to be able to change the human form. Whether they want to be blonde, have curly hair rather than straight, to be tall, short,etc. People are made exactly how they are supposed to be. They should not  have the ability to change their features in the future. It has been found that by editing certain genes in the human embryo, it is possible to prevent life threatening diseases from being contracted. Yes, it may be beneficial to keep diseases from spreading, but what happens when people want to change how their future babies will look?

Scientists and Researchers have feared the day that a human would be genetically altered. The ability to alter genes in the United States is illegal. Due to the fact that it is not only unethical but highly dangerous.When altering a human being, it changes everything that would make that one person unique. A genetic researcher from China decided to alter two twin baby girls to be prone to H.I.V. This Doctor is trying to play god, to have the ability to completely change a human being. He may have used his research for what he perceived to be good, but little does he know he might cause a revolution between genetic scientists and every ethicists alive.

“A different concern is urgent and immediate: safety. The methods used for gene editing can inadvertently alter other genes in unpredictable ways. Dr. He said that did not happen in this case, but it is a worry that looms over the field”(New York Times). There are gene altering disorders that happen on their own that are genetically passed from parents to their offspring. “People who inherit an unbalanced translocation involving chromosome 21 may have extra genetic material from chromosome 21, which causes Down syndrome. Like trisomy 21, mosaic Down syndrome is not inherited. It occurs as a random event during cell division early in fetal development”(GHR).  There are thousands of genetic disorders that alter the human body and form, but there are also obese that cause cells to continuously die also know as cancer. These disorders have plagued humans all over the world for thousands of years. But what would happen if a genetic scientist decided to help alter the appearance of a perfectly healthy baby and then cause genes to either mutate or change giving it a genetic disorder?

Ashley George, Contributor

My name is Ashley George. I am a sophomore and love Science. I love horse riding as well as jet skiing and quad riding. I love listing to all genres of...