Charger Soccer Recap

Joshua Case, Contributor

Yesterday, on December 12, 2018, the Benjamin Franklin High School boys soccer team traveled to American Leadership Academy, Gilbert North campus, to play their first region game. Before the game, the Chargers had a record of 2 wins and 0 losses, facing an ALA team with a record of 3 wins and 1 loss. The game started in favor of the ALA Eagles, as they scored a goal within the first three minutes. They later capitalized on more chances going up on the Chargers by a score of 3 to 0. While the game seemed to be getting out of hand for the Chargers, but one of the Chargers star strikers Jacob Aiello put one in the back of the net for the Chargers. This swing in momentum did not last long as ALA used a cross to the middle to make the score 4 to 1 three minutes before half time. While the scoreline may not have represented this at half time, the Benjamin Franklin held the better part of possession of the ball.

After half time the tide of the game seemed to change. The Charger’s push-on offence began to have a greater and greater impact. The Chargers scored two goals in the first thirty minutes of the second half to bring the score within one. ALA then scored another goal to make it 5 goals to 3 goals, seemingly putting the game out of reach for the Chargers to make a comeback.  With a newfound intensity to make a comeback in the game, the Chargers came back and scored two quick goals in under two minutes. With seven minutes left in the game, the focus of the game turned to defense for the Chargers to force overtime. With many shot attempts coming from the Eagles in the last minutes, the Chargers still kept their formation and shape in their defense, keeping the Eagles from scoring and forcing overtime.

In the first half of overtime, both teams came out with a great intensity. Even with this great intensity, neither side was able to score a goal on the other. As the second half of overtime started, the Chargers came out with a greater intensity and will to win than their opponents. When in the course of making a run to goal, Jacob Aiello got fouled inside the penalty box, resulting in a penalty kick. Aiello used this opportunity to bury the ball in the back of the net to give the Chargers the lead. The rest of the game went on with a last push from the Eagles that proved unsuccessful.

In the course of winning the game, three people scored goals for the Chargers: Jacob Aiello with three goals, Danner Bowen with two goals, and Cade Kempton with one.

Joshua Case, Contributor

I am a junior at BFHS. I love to play sports and be active. I like to spend my free with my friends and keep a positive outlook on life.