Top Five U.S. Billionaires

Ashley George, Contributor

The United States Of America is the home of business entrepreneurs, workers, and the top of the economic food chain, the CEO. Every business needs a founder and a leader. This job is entrusted to the CEO. There are multi billion even trillion dollar businesses all over America that were founded by men and women who had dreams and made them happen. Since then, companies have either been founded or inherited by family members throughout the years and cultivated to make top revenue.

The first of the billionaire’s is Jeff Bezos. Jeff Bezos, the Amazon CEO, is ranked number one with an outstanding amount of $112 Billion dollars. Jeff Bezos founded Amazon in 1994 changing the online shopping experience not only for Americans, but people all over the world. Over many years of challenges, Jeff Bezos was able to cultivate Amazon to the high end web store we know today. With the start of his company came a supreme court ruling that “that mail-order businesses were exempt from sales taxes in states in which the companies didn’t have a physical presence. He started researching mail-order businesses and their products. From there, he winnowed the opportunities down to smaller and smaller lists, finally deciding to get into the book business, because of the millions of titles in print”(investopedia). This minor bump started what is known now today as amazon books.

The second richest man in America is Bill Gates, Bill Gates is one of the co-founders of Microsoft, one of the largest computer programming and sales companies in the world. Bill Gates was the CEO of Microsoft until 2000 when he then passed down the role as CEO to Satya Nadella. He now spends his time as an entrepreneur, programmer, investor and philanthropist.

Following Bill Gates is Warren buffet. He is the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Warren Buffet is known as one of the top investors in America. He has changed lives of many through acts of kindness and investing. He is right underneath Bill gates as the second most involved philanthropists. He started his investing by buying a small share of stock at the age of eleven.”Buffett runs Berkshire Hathaway, which owns more than 60 companies, including insurer Geico, battery maker Duracell, and restaurant chain Dairy Queen”(Forbes).

Following Buffet is Mark Zuckerberg the Co-founder and leader of Facebook. Facebook was one of the first social media companies to come to light. This company has helped Zuckerberg reach a net worth of  $71 billion dollars. Zuckerberg was on top of the world and loving the spotlight of what Facebook brought to him. But an unfortunate tragedy unfolded in 2018.” Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has had a difficult 2018; the social network has been criticized for enabling the spread of hate speech and fake news.In April 2018, he testified before Congress after it was revealed that Facebook shared users’ data with political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica”(Forbes). Thus forcing him to find a way to break free from the spotlight, back down, and fix what he had broken.

Lastly Charles Koch, the fifth richest man in America. Not many people know Koch and what he has contributed to set him at a net worth of $60 Billion dollars. He is one on the CEO’s for Koch Industries. He works along side his brother David Koch who is ranked just barley below him at a net worth of an equal $60 Billion dollars. “Charles Koch has been chairman and CEO of Koch Industries, America’s second largest private company, since 1967 The conglomerate has some $100 billion in revenues from businesses including pipelines, chemicals, Dixie cups, and Stainmaster carpets” (Forbes). He is also one of the majority owner of the company he inherited from his father.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/warren-buffett/#186fdda74639

https://www.forbes.com/profile/mark-zuckerberg/#1df2a4b03e06

https://www.forbes.com/profile/charles-koch/#3f3774fb57d7

Ashley George, Contributor

My name is Ashley George. I am a sophomore and love Science. I love horse riding as well as jet skiing and quad riding. I love listing to all genres of...