Ohio State Football Recap

Josh Resh, Contributor

Ohio State finished the regular season 11 and 1. Even though they may have finished with a great record to end the regular season, as of right now they are ranked sixth in the country. That is impressive  for most teams, but for Ohio State, it wasn’t what was expected. Only the top four teams make it to the playoffs and, as of right now, the top four teams in order are: Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Georgia. Ohio State’s one loss this year may have cost them a spot in the playoffs. They lost to an unranked Purdue team that finished the year 6 and 6. The game wasn’t even close. Purdue slaughtered Ohio State 49 to 20. This made many question if Ohio State was even allowed in the playoffs after this loss.

For Ohio State, the struggles didn’t stop after the Purdue game. They barely beat an another unranked team, Nebraska, 36 to 31. Then, two weeks after that game, they almost lost to another unranked Maryland team, 52 to 51. The Maryland game came down to a two point conversion that Maryland failed to complete. This was the game before Ohio State played their rival, Michigan. This game was huge for both schools; these two schools hated each other. Michigan was ranked fourth heading into this game, and Ohio State was ranked tenth. Many expert analysts picked Michigan over Ohio State because of how terrible Ohio State had been playing recently. The Ohio State team proved many wrong by playing such an emotional game and crushing Michigan 62 to 39. As for Buckeyes, their defense finally looked good enough to compete. The Buckeyes offense was playing the number one ranked defense in the nation, and they put  up 62 points against this number one team! This showed how amazing Ohio State’s offense really is.

The Buckeyes, this year were lead by a Redshirt Sophomore Quarterback named Dwayne Haskins. Haskins did exactly what he was supposed to do for the Buckeyes which was to get the ball in the end zone as many times as possible. He threw for 4,081 yards and had 42 passing touchdowns with only 7 interception thrown.  He was named the Big Ten Quarterback of the Year. This honor meant that he was the best quarterback in his conference in the Big Ten. That was not the only award he won, because also received the Quarterback of the Year Award out of every quarterback in the country! For Dwayne, it isn’t the awards that are most important to him. For this outstanding quarterback, it is important to him that he beat Northwestern this Saturday. He said, “Winning awards are awesome, but to be able to go out here and play in my first year the way that I’ve played, I’m just really blessed and thankful for my teammates and my coaches for putting me in the opportunity to go out there and ball the way that I did. And just thankful for my family, my friends, my support system for getting me to where I’m at. And even though I won these awards and getting a lot of accolades every week, the biggest thing is about winning the game on Saturday, and I’ll feel more accomplished by beating Northwestern than I would about winning anything else.” Haskins end goal is to beat Northwestern, and still have a shot at potentially getting in the playoffs with his Ohio State Team.

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/dwayne-haskins-named-big-ten-best-quarterback-offensive-player/eJN71O4Zio3BG4McC56QHO/

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/schedule/