Start of Varsity Girls Basketball Season

Amber Tingue, Contributor

The season is just beginning to kick off for the Varsity Girls Basketball team. The team has been practicing all year round and even played in leagues over the summer and throughout the fall sports season against higher division teams, such as Williams Field, Chandler High School and Higley. This should be a good season for these ladies. Over this Thanksgiving break, they played in a tournament and won the Consolation bracket, with two victories and one defeat. The Lady Chargers begun the season playing against the Sabino Sabercats last Tuesday, a very quick and skilled team, and lost by over 50 points. Their upcoming game is against Fountain Hills and the team will have games most every Tuesday and Thursday.

The team has shrunk in size as we lost seven Senior players last year, but these girls have been working hard all year long to shine in this season. This season we have one lone Senior, Julia Boyd. The team consists of starters: Mikelle Kempton #1, Katrina Tsai #2, Jayden Baugh #3, Julia Boyd #10, and Madi Schiermeyer #23, along with other substitutes. All these girls have a variety of skills, and it really shows when they step on the court. Some of the players were asked how they felt about the season, and it seems as though they are confident and ready to play their hearts out. Katrina Tsai gives the team “two thumbs up” and is ready for the challenge. Another player, Mikelle Kempton, said, “It is going to be a ride full of ups and downs, but I am excited to play”. Jayden Baugh then noted that she “is hype for this season”. These girls have formed a tight bond and have become best friends on and off the court. Their coach, Danjee Moser always says “Smile on your face, fire in your eyes” to ignite the fire in the team and ready them to go out and play the sport that they love with all their heart. This should be a great season for the Varsity Girls basketball team.

Amber Tingue, Contributor

My name is Amber and no one takes me seriously. I am also a victim to playful and loving bullying by Rhys and Caiden. (They sometimes apologize so it's...