The Mars Landing

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Mars Landing

Andres Nichols, Contributor

On Monday, November 11th, NASA’s InSight team had successfully landed on Mars. This space mission is quite important since many previous journeys had failed and only a few have actually where able to land on Mars. The journey to Mars could take up to several months and with this idea it does not help the fact that a multi-million dollar spacecraft  could explode or fail to when it either takes off or even lands on Mars. However this new milestone will help scientists learn more about space exploration and gain more information about Mars and the way it reacts to objects on Earth and if the type of environment, specifically, if it is suitable for life.

According to Alberto Fairén, he had said that humans moving to Mars right now could eradicate any lifeform, even before knowing if they even existed, with taking too much water for the organism to even handle. Fairén made this discovery when he and his team were studying the Atacama Desert, the driest place on Earth, and found out that some organisms go through a osmotic shock when the organism come into contact with way too much water for the organism to handle. He then claims that if this is the case and if there ever was life on Mars, it could have already been harmed due to the Viking landers exploration in 1976 that used aqueous solutions to examine the terrain to see if there was any life on Mars. However, the first question should be is if the environment even suitable of any form of life, even the ones from Earth?

Soon after the landing NASA had tweeted an image with the caption of,”My first picture on #Mars! My lens cover isn’t off yet, but I just had to show you a first look at my new home.” The picture demonstrated a very dry and rocky environment. But even though that may have already been known, it could possibly help show how the surface of planets, similar to the one of Mars, could evolve or change. However humans would need to wait about possibly at least another twenty years to have the proper technology that would allow people and other organisms to live an ordinary life on Mars.

Even thought this journey may not be too exciting just yet, it is a milestone that should at least be recognized as a large step for new unidentified information. Especially since the space shuttle was uncontrollable for about seven minutes, this mission could have easily gone to waste. Redoing the mission would have been a painful long experience but there is no need to redo the mission. However the next could improve the technology that speed up or create a smoother experience. It is still quite a milestone to have been achieved. A new access of information and technology will only get larger as the years go by. It is only exciting to see what the future holds for space exploration and possible a new home for those courageous to travel to Mars

Sources:

https://cornellsun.com/2018/11/28/new-research-shows-current-exploration-techniques-could-eradicate-life-on-mars/

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasas-insight-mars-lander-set-for-seven-minutes-of-terror-as-it-prepares-to-land-on-red-planet

https://www.foxnews.com/science/mars-insight-lander-shows-off-first-image-from-mars

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2018/11/26/nasa-mars-landing-insight-mission-touches-down-mars/2117966002/

Andres Nichols, Contributor

I am a Freshman and that is all you need to know.