Leo Carrillo Destroyed by Fire

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leo Carrillo Destroyed by Fire

Wildfires ravaged Leo Carrillo State Parks campgrounds, one of the most popular camping spots in California. (Photo courtesy of Karena Kahlberg)

Avery Ward, Contributor

Leo Carrillo, a state park in California, was burned in the Woosley Fire on Tuesday, November 13.  North of Malibu, this state park has been a popular campsite for people to escape reality and relax.  According to State Parks superintendent, Tyson Butzke, says that the campground — on the northern border of Los Angeles County — has fallen victim to the Woolsey fire, with a “good amount” of fire damage (DN).  Butzke then added in an email, “It’s uncertain how much damage was sustained at the campgrounds, but many parts of the park were destroyed including the visitors center” (DN).  The park officials had posted on their website that they will be closed until further notice.  They also claimed that the fire burned through many buildings such as the restrooms, three lifeguard towers, sector office, employee residences, beach store, and the visitor’s center (CA Parks).

Sea life can be found along Leo Carrillo’s shore including starfish and whale bones.  Along with the marine life, Leo Carrillo is one of the backdrops to many famous Hollywood movies, including the original “Karate Kid” (DN).  The one and a half mile long beach is a favorite for cyclists to stop for breaks. It’s also been a turnaround point for the annual Nautica Malibu Triathlon (ABC).   Although, Leo Carrillo is about an hour away from Los Angeles and Santa Monica, it feels like you are tucked into the Santa Monica Mountains and are secluded from the outside world.  With ninety regular units and fifty RV sites, the campground has a high demand in summertime and the holiday season.

Many people who have been to Leo Carrillo are devastated by the fact that the campground is gone.  Karena Kahlberg, whose two teenage daughters are in the junior lifeguard program at Leo Carrillo, called the news of the campground’s damage “heartbreaking”.  Kahlberg grew up in the Malibu area, creating endless memories camping at Leo Carrillo, and more recently each summer as her children train in the junior lifeguard program.  She said, “Everything is gone it’s almost surreal — you can’t believe it’s gone.  We keep asking, when can we come and clean up?  We’re not allowed to go down there.  A few guards made it down to take some photos.  They are just trying to get a glimpse of all the damage.  Tragedy brings the community together, of course. We’re just trying to wait it out. We’re just watching and waiting to see where (the fire) moves next” (DN).

Another Malibu resident, Morgan Hathorn, was out in the ocean with his father when the fire took the campground.  “We were one of the lucky ones,” said Hathorn. He added, “Past few days have been rough but to come out here and kind of surf and get out, it’s nice. It’s definitely been a nice change of scenery” (ABC).

El Matador and La Piedra beach parks are still open for the few few residents that are around to appreciate it.  Nonetheless, the law enforcement advises the public to stay away from Leo Carrillo until it is secure.

Sources: https://abc7.com/leo-carrillo-state-park-destroyed-by-woolsey-fire/4702524/

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=616

www.dailynews.com/2018/11/12/damage-from-hill-fire-closes-leo-carrillo-state-park-one-of-californias-most-popular-campgrounds/

Avery Ward, Contributor

My name is Avery Ward and I am a freshman.  Here's a few things I like to do. Firstly, I love to play volleyball! I have been playing on the court for...