The New Arizona Senator

Ashley George, Contributor

The new Arizona Senator was elected on November 12th, 2018. Kyrsten Sinema and Martha McSally were the last two candidates left in the race for a spot in the Arizona Senate. Kyrsten Sinema is the first Senator of Arizona to be apart of the Democrat party since 1988. that is a thirty year long margin. She is also the first woman to be elected as an Arizona Senator for 106 years. Kyrsten Sinema fought a gruesome political battle alongside her Republican counterpart. Kyrsten Sinema collected most hove her votes from her unique views and promising a better Arizona.

McSally still does have an opportunity to be a part of the arizona senate according to the (National Public Radio) “McSally could still, however, become a senator. An Arizona Republic op-ed on Monday called for the Republican Governor, Doug Ducey, to appoint McSally to Arizona’s other seat. Former GOP Senator, Jon Kyl, was appointed to fill the vacancy following the death of Senator John McCain earlier this year, but if Kyl steps down Ducey would need to name another Republican to replace him. That person would have to run in a special election in 2020 before running again for a full term in 2022″. McSally will have the opportunity to run once again for the Arizona to be the republican seat in the senate.

With this recent election Kyrsten Sinema was able to flip one of the senate seats from Republican to Democrat. The Democrat party was able to be elected in a mainly republican state. Who knows what the future holds for the next elections; whether or not Arizona will stay a red state. Towards the end of Sinema’s election she gained an extra 1.7% of  voters from Tuscon and Suburban Arizona. Then pushing her to a 49.7% of the Arizonan votes verses the 48% of McSally’s voters. Kyrsten Sinema’s voters believe that Sinema will bring a better tomorrow, and they saw her at many campaign events where she made it obvious that she would interact and get to know her voters.

Sinema was also known for her contradictory views toward President Donald Trump. Sinema believes that she will be able to lead Arizona to success without the support of the President. Sinema is a strong supporter of improvements/ preservation within the Education systems, National Security, jobs and the economy, and fixing a broken Washington.

In attempt to change the control that congress has over the people “Kyrsten believes that if Congress can’t do its job and pass a budget, it should not get paid, and that Congress doesn’t deserve a raise when many Arizona families are still struggling to make ends meet. That’s why Kyrsten cosponsored the No Budget No Pay Act, which withholds congressional salaries until a budget is passed, and she introduced the bipartisan No Raise for Congress Act, which blocks the annual increase in congressional salaries”(Sinema house). She believes we should funnel money back to the people rather than spend it within the congressional salaries.

All of Sinema’s campaign was started when Jeff Flake decided to renounce the seat as an Arizona Senator. After this announcement it inspired the three-term House member to run for a seat in senate. Since then, she grew over time to reach her goal. She is ecstatic for her future and her goals. Jeff Flake highly supports Sinema and wished her all the luck in her future years. The voters are ready to stand behind and support their senator throughout her path. As for McSally, who knows what her future holds if she would be interested in running for a political office once again. We will she what this future politician will accomplish as well as our new senator.

https://sinema.house.gov/fixing-a-broken-washington/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/12/martha-mcsally-kyrsten-sinema-race-how-arizona-voted-senate-race/1981442002/

Ashley George, Contributor

My name is Ashley George. I am a sophomore and love Science. I love horse riding as well as jet skiing and quad riding. I love listing to all genres of...