Northwest Christian vs. Benjamin Franklin Recap

Cade McAfee, writer

Last Friday night, the Chargers had their second play-off game against the Northwest Christian Crusaders. The Crusaders were the number 1 seed in the 3A bracket with a record of 9-1. The Chargers played the Crusaders earlier in the year and lost by 8 points but that was without their quarterback, running back, and tight end.

The Crusaders won the toss and chose to the receive opening kick. The Crusaders had to punt after just three offensive plays and it was the Chargers turn to try start their own drive. The Charger’s offense was not much better than the Crusaders and they also had to punt. The second offensive drive was much better for Northwest Christian and they scored the first points of the game with a 7-0 lead. The Chargers scored on their next drive and tied the score 7-7. Again the Crusaders offense was stopped and they gave the ball back to the Chargers deep in their own territory. The Chargers were forced to punt, but it was blocked. Danner Bowen recovered it but could not get the first down and the Chargers were forced to turn it over on downs. With the short field they were given, the Crusaders scored again making the score 14-7 and left little time on the clock for the Chargers to work with. Danner Bowen caught a 40 yard pass from Zach Jefferies and with less than a minute left, the offense tried to score. The ball was turned over and the half ended Northwest Christian 14 and Ben Franklin 7.

The second half was much different from the first. The Crusaders took charge of this game with their opening drive touchdown. After this, they continued to score and stop the Chargers offense. The Charger defense was unable to stop the ball in the hands of the Crusaders, and as for the Charger offense; Northwest Christian tore that apart, and the Chargers were not able to ever get back in the end zone. The Ben Franklin’s double-wing offense was stopped and the Chargers season was ended. The final score was 35-7 and the Crusaders will go on in the playoffs to play Valley Christian in the semi-final game.

Cade McAfee, Contributor

I am Cade McAfee. I go to Benjamin Franklin High School and strive to follow the Charger Way everyday. I stay fit by playing sports and doing weights,...