Why Music Is Beneficial to Us

Lexi Stradling, Contributor

Music is beneficial for many different reasons. It improves so many things in our lives from health to education to the soul. Obviously, it is not something that can be a quick transformation, but little by little it can have all sorts of benefits to help improve your lifestyle.

Music relieves stress. Many researches have shown that music is a good remedy to reduce anxiety. A study found that music can be as effective as an anti-anxiety medication (A.R. Stone, 2014).

It can also help with focus. In 2007, a study from Stanford University School of Medicine found that listening to music from the late baroque period made changes in the brain that helped store events in your life into memory and it helped with attention  (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music helps you sleep. A study of students found that listening to music significantly improved their quality of sleep and made them feel more rested in the morning (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Research shows that the combination of music and soft lighting leads people to eat less and enjoy what they have more. Could music be the next trendy diet? (Deflin, 2016).

Music makes your immune system stronger. It really is a source of healing. Over 400 stories found that music is just as good and sometimes better than prescription medication to help fend off infection (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music eases pain. It is proven to reduce physical discomfort. A psychology study found that when patients listened the music they like for 10 minutes, they experienced less pain (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music boosts workout performance. Researchers have shown that listening to music while working out can increase your endurance by as much as 15% making you capable of performing longer. It is the key to successfully sweating through those high-intensity training sessions (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music also improves running performance. It is proven that when runners listen to motivational music they run faster  than they would listening to calm music. Enhancing your running performance might lie in your choice of music (Deflin, 2016).

Music is good for your heart. Research has found that it improves cardiovascular health and  it reduces someones risk of developing heart disease. It also tends to lower blood pressure (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music is good for your mind. Studies show that music boosts your cognitive performance. It also slows down age related mental decline (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music can make you a better driver. Surprisingly, jamming out to music in your car can make you a safer driver and less likely to get angry at other drivers. As long as your music is not blasting, it can be beneficial (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music can help you to do well under pressure. In one study, a basketball player didn’t choke up on his free-throws while listening to upbeat music (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Learning music makes kids smarter.  It improves verbal intelligence in kids and speeds up their cognitive development (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Music helps prevent seizures and improves recovery after a stroke. A stroke can damage the brain in a number of ways. Listening to music for just two hours a day has been found to reduce emotional distress  and speed up recovery following a stroke. Listening to music, specifically Mozart, has been found to decrease the number of seizures in children with epilepsy (A.R. Stone, 2014).

Most of all, music is good for the soul. Music helps to fight depression, it makes us feel happier, it is a form of pleasure, and it can help cheer you up. It is a proven spirit saver. When you listen to music you like, you release dopamine in the brain, a chemical that can make you feel happier (A.R. Stone, 2014).

References:

https://aplus.com/a/15-ways-music-is-good-for-you?no_monetization=true

10 Positive Benefits Of Listening To Music, According to Science

Lexi Stradling, Contributor

My name is Lexi Stradling and I'm a senior.