Navajo County Rodeo Queen Pageant

Back to Article
Back to Article

Navajo County Rodeo Queen Pageant

Ashley George, Contributor

Every little girl has had the dream of becoming a princess. She dresses up like one and falls in love with the fairy tale magic. But for the girls out there who want a fairy tale, but love horses and rodeo, end up becoming rodeo queens.  Rodeo Queens are the embodiment of rodeo and beauty combined. On October 13, Navajo County fair and rodeo put on their 88th annual Rodeo Queen pageant. Rodeo Queen pageants are a combination of tests to challenge a Rodeo Queen’s knowledge in rodeo, her poise, speaking ability, and of course, her riding ability. Each and every test is an important part of the process of choosing the right girl to represent their Rodeo.

Navajo County started their pageant with the horsemanship portion. There were a total of 7 girls entering the arena for one of the three title as a part of Navajo County’s Rodeo royalty court. There are three different titles that a girl can compete for. The first Queen which ages range from 18-25, Second Teen Queen which ages range from 13-17, and Lil Buckaroo which ages range from 8-12. The teen queen and Queen both need to complete a full reining patter as well as a flag run and hot lap to receive points for their horseman ship. Lil Buckaroo did a figure eight patter as well as a hot lap. After all riders finished the horseman ship all Queen and Teen Queen contestants were back into the arena for rail work. Rail work is a series of commands given by the judges to the riders to show how the riders can control their horse on the fly.

The next portion of the pageant was personal interview. In personal interview the contestant is out in a room with three judges. During this time the judges ask questions or rodeo knowledge, personality questions, and questions ranging from the topic PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals) to the JCCF (Justin cowboy crisis fund). After personal interview the contestant is lead to another room to take a written test. The written tests questions range from the PRCA to GCPRA.

After the contestants finished the interview they went into fashion Forward. Fashion Forward consists of informal modeling, extemporaneous questions, and personality questions. After Fashion Forward, the contestants were able to sit back relax and enjoy an amazing dinner. Then next portion for the contestant was formal. Formal consisted of a formal modeling portion and a speech. Modeling is based upon appearance an personality and the speech was based on content and speaking ability. This year’s speech theme was “one great county one great fair”. Each contestant wrote their own speech mainly about the rodeo and fair history. Some choose to write about a personal experience from a fair. But every speech written was about Navajo County’s fair and all the success and joy it has brought to its people for countless years.

After the contestants gave their speech they kicked back and enjoyed the dance. The girls were able to wear their own personal shirt from the pageant. After everyone finished dancing the past queens gave speeches and a memorabilia on all the amazing experiences they had together. Then It was time to crown the 2019 Navajo County Royalty Court. At this time the past court recognized the Board of directors and all who have helped them with their year. Then the category winners were announced. Then finally the new queens claimed their crowns. After the crowns were given, the queens came together and took a picture to commemorate the memories made at the pageant. After the pageant was over, the queens were finally chosen for the new year.

Ashley George, Contributor

My name is Ashley George. I am a sophomore and love Science. I love horse riding as well as jet skiing and quad riding. I love listing to all genres of...